Although I enjoy traveling across the country trying new beers, it saddens me when I can’t always take my favorite discoveries back home with me. Some of the best breweries that I’ve visited are small and don’t offer cans or bottles to take back. However, I take advantage of the opportunity with those breweries that do! With some bubble wrap and tape, you too can bring your favorite beers back with you when traveling by plane. Here are some steps and tips that I follow to make this possible:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bubble Wrap
- Gallon Plastic Storage Bags
- Packing Tape
- Waterproof makeup bag (Optional)
- Wrap each can/bottle individually with bubble wrap twice. Be generous with the bubble wrap to make sure it is fully covered.
- Tape the bubble wrapped can on all sides so the bubble wrap doesn’t unravel.
- Place the can inside a plastic storage bag and tape it shut. I find the gallon size to be the best fit for 12 oz and 16 oz cans.
- This is optional, but I found it useful. I had ordered waterproof luggage organizers ahead of time, which came with sleek cosmetic/toiletry bags that zippered shut. Just to be on the safe side, I put the cans in this bag after following steps 1-3.
- Cans are better than bottles. They are lighter, less likely to explode with the pressure on the plane, and the clean up is safer. Crowlers will work just as well.
- Pack your beer in between clothes are towels for a snugger fit.
- If traveling with other people, spread out your beer so your luggage doesn’t weigh heavier than the airline guidelines.