Tepache is a fermented pineapple beverage made from fresh pineapple peel and core. This beverage dates back to pre-colonial times in Mexico with many recipe variations.
The key ingredients are pineapple (rinds), panela/piloncillo Mexican brown sugar, and cinnamon. This low alcohol beverage (3% ABV) works great as mixers as well.
What You’ll Need
- 1 Gal Jugs
- Pineapple Rinds (Do not use the core)
- Filtered water
- 1 cup of Panela or Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Star San sanitizer
- Sanitize all items (including measuring cup, utensils, etc that you may use). Follow the instructions on the sanitizer bottle to mix the proper amount.
- Slice off pineapple peel and place it in the jug. Do not use the core.
- Add 1 cup of Panela/brown sugar.
- Add a few cinnamon sticks
- Fill jug with filtered water.
- Cap jug, add airlock and sanitizer.
- Store room temp and somewhere dark for up to 5 days.
- After 5 days, strain and fill bottles.
- Store for up to 2 weeks.